Italian tuna salad is an easy, colorful, delicious do-ahead dish that can be a starter, light lunch or main course!
Italian canned tuna, packed in oil, provides tons of flavor and is the base for this simple recipe.
We like to add sundried tomatoes and cannellini beans but feel free to use whatever you prefer! Kalamata olives, chickpeas or diced fresh mozzarella would be delicious mix-ins as well!
This recipe gets extra points for being do-ahead – in fact, letting it sit is key for developing the best flavor! And leftovers (if there are any) are even better the next day!
Italian Tuna Salad:
- 2 7-ounce cans Italian tuna packed in oil
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup sun dried tomato strips
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- salt and pepper
- radicchio leaves, for serving (optional)
Drain the tuna and place in a medium bowl, using a fork to break it up into small pieces. Add the drained beans, onion, parsley, tomatoes and oregano and mix well.
Place the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper in a jar and shake to emulsify. Pour over the salad and mix to coat. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, to allow the flavors to blend and develop.
Serve on radicchio leaves, if desired.