These delightful little pastries are way easier to make than they look, thanks to a two-ingredient dough that takes 5 minutes to make!
Self-rising flour and Greek yogurt combine to make an easy, versatile dough that requires no yeast and no rising, and can be used in sweet or savory recipes!
A simple cardomom-brown sugar filling is spread on the dough, which is cut into strips, braided and baked in muffin tins. You can serve them warm or at room temperature and they are perfect with a cup of tea or coffee, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Mini Cardamom Twists:
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting the work surface
- 5 – 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees; line a muffin tin with paper liners.
Mix the flour and yogurt in a large bowl, either by hand or in your mixer.
Lightly flour your work surface and knead the dough by hand a few times, till smooth. Roll into a rectangle, about 1/4 – 1/2” thick. Turn the dough so that the long side is facing you.
In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients, stirring till smooth. Spread one half of the filling along the bottom third of the dough, and the other half along the top third. The middle of the dough should have no filling on it, as shown in the photo.
As if you are folding a letter, bring the bottom third up and over the middle third, and then bring the top third over to meet the bottom edge. Use your rolling pin to gently re-roll the dough into a rectangle about 12” long.
Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the dough into twelve 1” wide strips. Cut each strip into thirds, leaving a piece at the top intact, as shown in the photo. Starting from the top of each piece, braid the dough and then roll the braid into a spiral. Place into one of your muffin liners. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or till golden brown. Transfer the twists to a wire rack to cool slightly; serve warm or at room temperature.
1. If you don’t have self-rising flour you can make your own by combining 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour with 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
2. Do not substitute the Greek yogurt for regular yogurt as it will not yield the same results.
3. Do feel free to swap ground cinnamon for the cardamom if you prefer.